In honor of the Transgender Day of Visibility we are declaring the week of March 28 to April 5, 2014 as Trans* Athlete Week here at Derby Frontier!To start things off, you may be wondering what all this trans* jazz is all about.
“Trans* is an umbrella term that refers to all of the identities within the gender identity spectrum. There’s a ton of diversity there, but we often group them all together (e.g., when we say “trans* issues). Trans (without the asterisk) is best applied to trans men and trans women, while the asterisk makes special note in an effort to include all non-cisgender gender identities, including transgender, transsexual, transvestite, genderqueer, genderfluid, non-binary, genderfuck, genderless, agender, non-gendered, third gender, two-spirit, bigender, and trans man and trans woman.”
In awareness poster format:
But there will be plenty of time to discuss this further at the end of the month as the ENTIRE week will be dedicated to celebrating gender identity and gender expression, discussing Trans* issues in sports, exclusive articles and interviews about Trans* acceptance, visibility and struggles in roller derby, links to resources and support networks and featured content for special guest writers!
We’re also currently looking for any additional athletes, officials, coaches or volunteers who identify as Trans* and are willing to share their own appearances in roller derby as a Trans* person (you can either chose to provide your name or submit an anonymous story).
PLEASE NOTE: This event is open to any and all individuals around the world. It is not exclusive to any one country. If you would like to send in pictures of support or share your own stories and experiences, please do not hesitate to do so!
Other ways you can get involved and show your support as a league or an individual include:
- Take a selfie or team/league photo while wearing the Trans* Flag colors or displaying either the Trans* Flag or Trans* symbol and submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org, all submissions will be added to out Support for Trans* Athlete week gallery on Facebook and here on the blog.
- Engage in conversation here on the blog by commenting on posts during the week!
- Share this blog post on you and/or your leagues’ wall to help spread word of Derby Frontier’s Trans* Athlete Week!
- Change your personal and/or league Facebook cover photo to Derby Frontier’s Trans* Athlete Awareness Week banner (below).
- Change your Facebook profile picture to Derby Frontier’s Trans* Athlete Awareness Week logo (below).
If you have any article suggestion, general question, comments or concerns, or if you would like to participate as a guest writer for the week to discuss your experiences in roller derby or sports in general as a trans* person, please email email@example.com with the subject as “ATTN: Kevlar. Trans* athlete week.” In the mean time, please take a few moments to read through these phenomenal tips for being a ally to the Trans* community.